Shortly after moving to Portland, I adopted a vegan lifestyle. I’d previously been vegetarian, but had found it difficult to conceive a life without dairy and eggs. Mostly, from lack of education on substitutes, but Idaho was not the most vegan friendly of locations. When I arrived in Portland, I was shocked with how many restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and even grocery stores were fully vegan or had significant vegan options. I also saw my friends leading happily vegan lives. There is a reason that Portland is consistently voted the most vegan friendly city in the United States.
Here’s a guide to my favorite vegan spots in Portland after living here almost a decade.
Best Vegan Restaurants in Portland, Oregon
Portland is home to well over 50 fully vegan restaurants. Let’s break down my favorites.
Vegan Mexican Food
- Mis Tacones – This is a somewhat longtime favorite. They were first a food truck next to a favorite coffee shop mentioned below (Jet Black). They now have a physical restaurant on Killingsworth and an expanded menu. It’s well worth the trip.
- La Taquiza Vegana (Permanently Closed) – This one hurts, it was my favorite spot for tacos in Portland. They closed their food truck in mid-January 2023.
- Robo Taco – While this isn’t a fully vegan restaurant, they have a wide variety of vegan tacos/burritos. The faux pork taco is my go to!
- Taquería Los Puñales – This spot surprised me, I was looking for a bite to eat after a drink at the vegan bar next door (Sweet Hearafter) and went for their vegan mole taco.. incredible. They also have a very tasty vegan tinga!
Vegan Breakfast Restaurants
- Paradox Cafe – This is an old-school classic vegan spot for breakfast in Portland. The P-dox Benedict is one of my all-time favorite breakfasts.
- Off The Griddle – This brunch spot sets the standard in Portland, the Brisket Hash is incredible.. as is the blue plate.. or the full mess.. it’s impossible to go wrong.
- Harlow – They now have two locations, Hawthorne and NW 23rd. This place is a staple for a clean simple menu, juices, or smoothies.
- DC Vegetarian – They’re well known for the burgers and sandos, but the breakfast sandwiches are one of the best deals in town!
- Vertical Diner – This restored roadside diner is the perfect spot to grab breakfast or brunch. A bit outside of town, off SW Barbur, it’s worth the trip.
- Nectar Cafe – A quiet cafe, a block off Sandy in Hollywood. The breakfast burrito is a classic.
Top Vegan Coffee Shops in PDX
- Jet Black – This is one of my favorite spots to go hang out, grab a great coffee, maybe a vegan breakfast sandwich, and sit in their beautiful space. The decor is a tasteful collection of tattoo flash, lovely indoor plants, and music history.
- Nectar Cafe – Good spot for a coffee, juice, or smoothie in Hollywood.
- Oracle Coffee – lovely spot on the South Waterfront. They make a killer cappuccino. Good food as well!
- La Perlita – This shop in North Portland is definitely worth checking out. Try it on a Sunday.. free conchas!
- Daylily – This super cute shop has some seriously amazing latte art.. and a great vegan menu.
Vegan Food Trucks
Best Vegan Thai
- Basil Vegan
- Kati (new chef/ownership, not as good)
- Sweet Basil Thai
- Farmhouse Kitchen
- Van Hanh Restaurant
Vegan Junk Food
- Vegan Junk food
- Next Level
- DC Vegetarian
- Chubby Bunny
- Super Deluxe
- Plant Based Papi
- Homegrown Smoker
- The Mockingbird
Fancy Vegan Restaurants
Favorite Vegan Bars in Portland
- Black Water
- Sweet Hearafter
- Bye & Bye
- Hungry tiger
Vegan Dessert Shops in Portland
- Sweet Pea Baking
- Shoofly Vegan Bakery
- Rawdacious Desserts
- Petunia’s Pies & Pastries
- Unicorn Bake Shop
- Doe Donuts
- Tiny Moreso
- Hail Snail
- Kate’s Ice Cream
- Ramblin’ Rose Vegan Ice Cream
- Ice Queen
- Carina’s Bakery